Are you looking for a different treatment for your osteoarthritis knee pain?
What is OA of the knee?
A normal knee glides smoothly because cartilage covers the ends of the bones that form joints. Osteoarthritis (ah-stee-oh-ar-THRY-tis) or OA of the knee damages this cartilage, progressively wearing it away. The ends of the bones become rough like sandpaper. This damaged cartilage can cause the joint to “stick” or lock and your knee may get painful and stiff and lose range of motion.2 Common risk factors for OA of the knee are genetics, being overweight, joint injury, overuse of the joint, and having other forms of arthritis.3
Symptoms of OA of the knee
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms of OA of the knee, you should consult your physician and ask them about treatment options:
- You are unable to do or enjoy certain activities because of pain or stiffness in your knee
- You frequently experience stiffness in your knee after resting or when waking up
- Your knee often hurts when you move
- Your knee hurts even when you are not active
- You hear a crackling sound or have a grating feeling in your knee
A very common disease
More than 10 million Americans suffer from OA of the knee. There is no cure for OA, but its symptoms can be treated effectively with proper physician care, so that patients can continue living active lives.3
Traumeel® and Zeel® Injection Solutions are homeopathic prescription drugs indicated for the treatment of inflammatory and degenerative conditions of the musculoskeletal system, such as arthrosis / osteoarthritis and/or rheumatic joint diseases, and for the relief of symptoms including pain, swelling, and joint stiffness. They contain highly diluted ingredients that reduce pain and inflammation.4 The exact mechanism of action of combined Traumeel® and Zeel® Injection Solutions is not yet fully understood.
- Are suffering from diabetes, heart disease, and other risk factors that complicate treatment with standard medications
- Are unable/unwilling to tolerate corticosteroids
- Need additional treatment between steroid cycles or after receiving viscosupplementation/hyaluronic acid injection
- Have reached maximum covered/allowable steroid injections (usually 3 injections per joint and year)
- Are unable or unwilling to tolerate conventional pain medications
- Are out of standard options
How is this therapy given?
In your doctor’s office, using a standard procedure, Traumeel® and Zeel® Injections Solutions are injected into your knee once a week for 3 consecutive weeks. Your doctor may recommend a local anesthetic to reduce the possible discomfort associated with the injection.
Are you a candidate for this therapy?
- Your knee pain is due to OA
- You are not getting adequate OA knee pain relief from walking and/or physical therapy
- You are not getting adequate OA knee pain relief from pain medications
- You cannot or do not want to tolerate steroid injections or any of the treatments mentioned above
Who should NOT have this therapy?
- Are allergic to any of the ingredients in Traumeel® or Zeel® Injection Solution
- Have infections or skin diseases in the area the injection will be given
In general, this therapy is considered to be very safe. Traumeel® and Zeel® Injection Solutions are not known to cause any drug-to-drug interactions and reports of adverse events to the FDA are at an exceptionally low level. The following adverse events have been identified during post-marketing use. Because these events are reported voluntarily from a population of uncertain size, it is not always possible to reliably estimate their frequency or establish a causal relationship to drug exposure.
Adverse event rates observed in monotherapy use of Traumeel® Injection Solution: Allergic (hypersensitivity) reactions (e.g., skin allergies, redness/swelling at the injection site. Anaphylaxis may occur in isolated cases.4
Adverse event rates observed in the monotherapy use of Zeel® Injection Solution: Allergic (hypersensitivity) skin reactions may occur in isolated cases.4
The safety and effectiveness of this therapy have not been established in pregnant women, lactating women, and children.
What are the ingredients of Traumeel® and Zeel® Injection Solutions?
Both Traumeel® and Zeel® Injection Solutions are combination formulations of botanical substances and mineral substances that are highly diluted. They are officially classified as homeopathic combination remedies.
Each 2.2 ml ampule of Traumeel® Injection Solution contains the following:
Arnica montana, radix 2X (2.2 mcl), Belladonna 2X (2.2 mcl), Calendula officinalis 2X (2.2 mcl), Chamomilla 3X (2.2 mcl), Millefolium 3X (2.2 mcl), Hepar sulphuris calcareum 6X (2.2 mcl), Symphytum officinale 6X (2.2 mcl), Aconitum napellus 2X (1.32 mcl), Bellis perennis 2X (1.1 mcl), Mercurius solubilis 6X (1.1 mcl), Hypericum perforatum 2X (0.66 mcl), Echinacea 2X (0.55 mcl), Echinacea purpurea 2X (0.55 mcl), Hamamelis virginiana 1X (0.22 mcl), sterile isotonic sodium chloride solution.
Each 2.0 ml ampule of Zeel® Injection Solution contains the following:
Arnica montana, radix 4X (200 mcl), Rhus toxicodendron 2X (10 mcl), Dulcamara 3X (10 mcl), Symphytum officinale 6X (10 mcl), Sulphur 6X (3.6 mcl), Sanguinaria canadensis 4X (3 mcl), Cartilago suis 6X (2 mcl), Embryo suis 6X (2 mcl), Funiculus umbilicalis suis 6X (2 mcl), Placenta suis 6X (2 mcl), alpha-Lipoicum acidum 8X (2 mcl), Coenzyme A 8X (2 mcl), Nadidum 8X (2 mcl), Natrum oxalaceticum 8X (2 mcl), sterile isotonic sodium chloride solution.
These statements have not been reviewed by the Food and Drug Administration. They are supported by traditional homeopathic principles.
X is a homeopathic dilution. For more information, visit www.MediNatura.com/homeopathic-dilutions
- 1. http://www.healthline.com/health/osteoarthritis-stages-of-oa-of-the-knee
- 2. http://www.ucsfhealth.org/conditions/osteoarthritis_of_the_knee. Accessed Feb 2014.
- 3. http://www.arthritistoday.org Accessed February 2014.
- 4. Traumeel® and Zeel® Package Inserts
Ask your physician or call MediNatura’s Customer Service at 1-844‑633‑4628.
Homeopathic Remedies NewsWatch Review:
Watch a live Traumeel® injection on The Doctors TV show.
Download Additional Information:
You may report an adverse event related to MediNatura products by calling 1-844‑633‑4628. If you prefer, you may contact the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) directly. The FDA has established a reporting service known as MedWatch where healthcare professionals and consumers can report serious problems they suspect may be associated with the drugs and medical devices they prescribe, dispense, or use. Visit www.FDA/gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
The health information contained herein is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace discussions with a healthcare provider. All decisions regarding patient care must be made with a healthcare provider, considering the unique characteristics of the patient.
1055 Westlakes Drive, Suite 300
Berwyn, PA 19312